Friday, February 26, 2010

Winds a blowin'

Holy cow it's cold out there.
It's a typical Southern Idaho late winter day. The wind is howling. It's cold. There's not enough snow left to be pretty, which in my mind makes the cold easier to deal with.
I had planned on cleaning the garage today. But that just sounds painfully chilly.
It's Friday, my favorite day of the week. I don't think I should have to do anything that makes me cold today. Unless it's fun -- like drinkin' beer or eating ice cream.
My oldest daughter is going to a school dance today. Not at her current school, at her old one. Some friends invited her. I'm so thankful. But my stomach hurts.
School dances, particularly the middle school variety can be so very odd and upsetting. I'm assuming she'll have a great time as she has good friends there. But I worry so much about the mean kids that might break her heart.
I keep trying to remind myself that just because I had some bad experiences in my growing up years, she may not have the same heartbreak. Even if she does, it is a normal part of growing up. She'll be fine. I can't believe my little girl is old enough to go to a middle school dance.
At her current school though I have an issue with the Bible teacher and I'm not sure how to handle it. My instinct is to go all "Karmanator" on him. I've been trying so hard to be a grown up and be all rational and stuff, but man this guy makes my head spin around.
This incident didn't happen in my daughter's class, so I've been trying to let it go.
I got an e-mail from the teacher on Wednesday -- one he sent to all the parents about the book The Shack.
"In Bible classes today we discussed the book "The Shack" and I told the students that I have a problem with the book because of some of the underlying concepts presented. However, some of the students indicated to me that people they know have read the book and said it was great. Let me say that there was a time when I couldn't wait to read The Shack, until I found out some of the concerns I am now sharing with all of you. If you have read The Shack or plan to, I would encourage you to check out one or both of the following links. The first is a review of the book from a guy who knows the author. The review discusses some of the problems with the book. The second link is an interview with the author in which some very concerning statements are made.

http://www.wretchedradio.com/pdf/review_shack.pdf

http://www.archive.org/download/carmmedia/shack.mp
"

Now, let me get this straight. Some how this "teacher" saw fit to have a discussion about a book he has not read.
Furthermore, the book is fictional. It says right on it. "Fiction". Fiction, means it's not true. It's not meant to be true...or factual... it's meant to be make believe.
The reviews the teacher posted are of interest. One is a point by point critique of the book by someone who claims to be friends with the author. Indeed there are some theological issues in the book that the average theologian might have reason to question except that that book is FICTION. It's all made up.
The whole point of fiction is to tell a story. It's not a true story because again, it's FICTION. So I fail to understand why it warrants an academic review because it's FICTION. If you don't agree with the theology, then you have the ability to not read it again.
The other alleged interview with the author is clearly edited and manipulated. Credible? I doubt it.
So this "teacher" is claiming the book and it's author are dangerous. He's never read the book, but because of these reviews he doesn't want to read the book, yet it makes perfect sense to discuss it in a BIBLE class.
It does not make sense to me. First, I think teachers should actually read the book they're discussing in class. Second, I think the book should actually be relevant to what they're discussing in class. Color me unreasonable.
If the kids are having an intellectual discussion about the theology of a work of fiction it seems to me that everybody should have read the book in particular the teacher.
Further, the apparently main problem with the book is that universalist approach -- as in there is more than one way to God. God, in the book, is initially presented as a woman. (Curses!) The author does so with intention and explains his reasoning when the book concludes. The main character in the book has turned away from God and is in fact angry with God. By the end of the book he's resting in the unconditional love and joy God can bring. Now tell me, isn't that the point of the entire BIBLE??? Isn't the Bible all about God's unconditional love? If the main character comes to know God in the end, why is it a bad thing??? Because he came to God in an usual way rather than oh I don't know -- being the victim of some evangelistic ambush in the local mall?
Further, the book has caused millions of people to look at their own spiritual life and ask more questions about their own faith. In many cases, this work of fiction has brought them closer to God in a very real way. This is apparently a bad thing?
Back on the academic side, the reviewer the Bible teacher link to keeps referring to the author as Paul. Yet, on the authors own web - site he refers to himself as Willie. Makes ya wonder who is really the author's friend.
I don't think it's too much to ask of a teacher to a)read the book he's discussing in class -- and b) make sure the sources he quotes are legitimate.
Perhaps I'm wrong.
I'm trying to figure out the grown up thing to do here. I really want to go into this man's class room and through a hissy fit, but I'm guessing it won't go anywhere with this guy. I'm thinking I'll write a nice calm letter to the principal and the teacher and thoughtfully explain my concerns.
As a writer, it makes my heart hurt when people don't read a book because they think it's filled with something it's not. It's labeled as a work of fiction -- as such can be used as a discussion starter, but not as a matter or record of fact. To confuse the two does a disservice to writers -- and most importantly the readers who won't take the time to open a work of art.
Well, that's enough of my soap box for the day.

3 comments:

  1. I've read the book. My book club read it. Funny thing, the book club is an outcropping of the local Catholic parish's mom group, Anyway-I know of the controversey. My sister was all,"oh, I don't know what to think of that book, it's gotten some funky reviews" and I asked her if she'd read it. Nope. It's a difficult book for a parent to read. The issue I had with it was the odd characterization of the Holy Spirit. Of the Trinity I am most in touch with the Holy Spirit, and I didn't like the "etherial, wispy" was it was presented. I

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have some of the prettiest soap boxes i've ever seen! last night at book club we decided to read "The Shack" and i gotta tell ya i'm excited!! then we can talk even more about this work of FICTION! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margi -- I hear what are saying about the Holy Spirit character... I got tired of what I saw as an over emphasis on the race of each character...
    Nice One -- It's truly a beautiful story, I think. It's hard to get into though because as a parent it deals with one of our biggest fears. It's worth it to go on though, so stick with it -- and I can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete