Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And so, it begins

It's "Fat Tuesday". I've indulged in lots of red meat today and a handful of chocolate chip cookies. I feel good.
Tomorrow is a fasting day, so I'll only get one full meal.
I used to dread fasting days and rarely did them. When you're obsessed with food a day of fasting is torture. Since I conquered that battle, a day of fasting isn't a big deal. In fact it's pretty cleansing.
I'm determined to "do" Lent this year. Again, I rarely practice this aspect of my Catholicism. Typically, I have great intentions, but by 10 a.m. the morning of Ash Wednesday, I have forgotten. Certainly by the first Friday of Lent I've ordered a juicy hamburger -- totally spacing an obligation to abstain.
The other tenant of the Lenten season is to "give something up" or "do something extra".
I've opted to give up Facebook. For those of you who know me well, you understand this is no small sacrifice. I love Facebook. It has allowed me to reconnect with old friends. Those friends provide me an electronic support system and safety barrier.
The problem is I get lost in Facebook. I spend hours chatting with friends, playing games, reading others updates. That is time I don't spend doing things like paying bills, managing our household spending time in real life with friends and family.
It's gotten to the point that my children say things like, "You're on Facebook again?!"
It comes to my phone. I check several times an hour for posts and messages.
The other day my 82-year-old father pointed out I hadn't spoken to him in a month. This is a huge problem. I had taken for granted that he and other members of my family already know what's going on in my life because I post so much on Facebook. My father does not check Facebook. He doesn't own a computer. The hours I spend on Facebook could very easily be spent with him and other people in my family and life who deserve face - to - face contact.
It also occurred to me I never write cards and letters anymore, short of the occasional thank you note. I cherish my letters and cards from my family and friends in the days before electronic communication. Will my children cherish my emails or Facebook posts? I doubt it.
So while I am not on Facebook I plan on writing a minimum of one letter or card per week and put an actual stamp on it and actually put it in the mail.
I'm going to chronicle the Facebook-less life here.
I expect to have more time to post.
I will, however, point out that I turned off my e-mail notifications from Facebook about 2-hours ago.
It's making me crazy....

No comments:

Post a Comment