Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Creative musing

Here's what I did for myself today:
I spent the morning... and a portion of the afternoon sewing. Were there a ton of other things I could ...or should... have been doing....but I went next door, where, conveniently, there is a quilt shop and sewing studio... and I worked on the cutest little heart shaped bag.
I didn't finish it, but will post pictures when I do.
It was so relaxing! Good ol' fashioned female bonding. The other women there and I talked about darn near everything and shared a nice lunch.
Lately, I've been craving creativity. I have the urge to create art or sew something. Write.
In my world, other things to be in the way. Kid stuff. Family stuff. School stuff. House stuff.
Each Wednesday, my neighbor has a sewing workshop. Sometimes it's just an Unfinished Object workshop where we work on whatever projects we have going on. Sometimes, there's a more formal class. For part of the summer, I was diligent about going to the workshops. But then I got busy and all that other stuff go in the way. So after the first of the year, when I started doing my "what am I doing for me" crusade, I vowed to again make a commitment to going to the classes.
Sometimes, I think, we get in the mindset that we have to earn the right to do the things we love. Once again, postpone joy.
So, despite all the other things I SHOULD have been doing... I allowed myself to get lost in creativity and estrogen power.
It was great!
Guess what? All those shoulds are still there. We lived. I'm just as far behind as I was before I went to the sewing shop. But I feel so much better! I love the purse I'm creating.
And for a person who rarely relaxes -- I relaxed.
So, for my first month of Do something for myself each day, I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I'm removing clutter, I'm not postponing joy, I'm celebrating me.
Not a bad way to kick off the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment