Thursday, January 21, 2010

Crash landing

Well, so much for getting caught up over the weekend!
Sunday afternoon, I went sledding with my husband and children. Feeling spry, I hopped on one of the tubes and headed down the hill.
And straight into a metal fence post.
You know how you watch other people crash and think, "If that were me, I would do something different"?
Saturday I watched people crash into that same fence post and thought, "They should just roll out of the tube! Duh!"
Faced with the sight of the fence post comin' straight at me, I told myself to roll out. In my head I was rolling out. Really. I saw myself rolling gracefully out and watching the tube bounce into the the fence post.
In real life, I slammed into that thing, bending it over dang near 90 degrees and giving myself what turned out to be a minor concussion, a damaged shoulder joint and nasty black bruises up and down my right side.
Yep, I'm that good.
The bummer is that I won't be able to sled any more this season...and it's put me a bit behind as I haven't felt up to doing much...haven't really felt myself...thanks to the concussion etc.
Thankfully, I have these crazy children to keep me on my toes.
My daughters looked over the bruises and pronounced the colors would be great for eye shadow.
My son, upon seeing me crash -- raced down the hill to my side...my little hero.
This accident could have been a lot worse, so I'm pretty much just laughing it off when I'm not whining about how much I hurt.
I'm glad I hopped on the sled. Took a risk.
I know a lot of people who are afraid to play with their kids in fear they'll look silly, or that they're too fat, or that they'll mess up their hair.
I'm not a sidelines kinda girl, so I stopped sitting along the bench a long time ago.
Why wait until I lose weight, have a better hair cut and cuter snow pants to play with my kids in the sun and snow?
Each day I try to focus on what brings me joy in that moment. Not to the point of being irresponsible, but appreciating that I'm alive and I have a blessed life.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a "Super Mom". How sweet of CJ to head down there so quickly, yep, he's a hero!
    Hugs to you dear, or should I say gentle hugs, don't want to make you hurt any more than you already do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOUUUUUUCH!!!

    Glad it wasn't worse, sorry you banged yourself up so badly. Is your shoulder going to be okay on its own?

    ReplyDelete