Monday, January 11, 2010

What I did for myself today: Had coffee
What inspired me today: Silence
What am I listening to: Foo Fighters, Times Like These
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVm8jPBhmMU
(I know there is a way to "hotlink" these sites, but it doesn't seem to be working)

So I spent the better part of the evening beating myself up. I had intended all day to take a nice long fitness walk or spend 30 minutes working out on the Wii.
It never happened.
I thought I might take a walk along the fitness trail in Jerome ( a city about 30 minutes south of where I live and where my oldest child attends school). But I decided to come home because I wasn't entirely sure where the trail was or where to park.
I came home and decided I would start a load of laundry and get lunch started then go for a walk. But then I got busy and didn't make it out so I thought I'd go after lunch, but then I had unexpected company. Then the kids came home and then I had to go back to Jerome to pick up Katy, groceries ... run errands. Then chores. Then dinner. Then homework. Then music practice.
It's now 10:15 and I still haven't worked in any fitness time.
The "SHOULD MONSTER" was raging. I should have done it first thing. I should have done it this morning when I had a few minutes while in Jerome. I should manage my time better. SHOULD, SHOULD, SHOULD. ARRRGGGHHH
STOP.
Let's go back over the day: I took my daughter to school. I had a meeting with her principal about some volunteer projects. I had coffee with an old friend and rocked her son to sleep on my chest (I LOVE that feeling).
I finally figured out how to get my laptop off the display mode which has been making me crazy since Christmas morning. I cleaned off the dining room table (no small feat) and then got the bills organized and started getting everything paid. I visited with an old friend who stopped into visit. I got lunch fixed for Clem and myself. I cooked dinner for the family. I fed the chickens and collected 2 dozen eggs. I did 5 loads of laundry, folded and put them away. I chatted on Facebook. I was busy all day.
I'm thinkin' in retrospect, I didn't too badly.
I don't think we give ourselves enough credit for what we do, focusing instead on what we don't get done.
I also am convinced that I can get more done than an human could possibly manage. Somehow, I think I'm different.
Then, we I don't get the things done I think I'm supposed to get done, then I think I've failed. Then, I have an excuse to treat myself poorly. I am, afterall, a failure, right?
Right?
WRONG.
Look at the list of things I got done today. That's failure? No. By no means.
Being aware of that -- that's success.
So here's to giving ourselves a break ... celebrating what we did and not what we didn't. For being thankful that we can see the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment