Thursday, January 7, 2010

Casting Pearls

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." - KJV, Matthew 7:6
A friend of mine referred to this verse in a conversation today and I can't get it out of my head.
It refers, I think, to doing things for people who don't appreciate it. Now that I've looked up the quote, I also really like the suggestion to not give that which is holy to the dogs.
I know I've spent a lot of time feeding the dogs and pigs. When I first heard this reference, I was reminded of all the time and energy I give and give and give to everyone. Everyone, that is, except me.
Over the past year I've really made an effort to stop this futile exercise. I've cut back on my volunteer work, said no to being on boards and committees. I still have plenty to keep me busy.
The movement to cut back came partially because my doctor said, essentially, "Do it or else" and partially because my children pointed out that I was spending more time with other people's children than I was with them.
It's difficult, because I have been over committed with volunteer work since I was in high school. While other kids rebelled by doing drugs, I rebelled by volunteering for every possible club, committee and organizations.
Now that I've had the better part of the year away from the frenetic schedule I'd been keeping, I can see now that the work I was putting in, while good theory, was really a lot of "pearls".
Granted I did good things. Raised money for good causes. Inspired others. But all the time doing good, took me away from what was really important.
I was burning myself out. Neglecting my kids. Serving everyone but the people who really need me most.
I learned a lot and met a lot of wonderful people, so I can't look back on those experiences with a negative light.
But I also need to acknowledge that my crazy schedule was and often IS a distraction.
If I'm taking care of everyone and everything else, I have a great excuse not to take care of me.
Something is always more important. Now, if one of my friends were telling me about not having time to take care of themselves, I'd tell them, "You have to take care of yourself first. If the engine doesn't work the car doesn't run."
I'm not particularly good at taking my own advice!
So one of my friends challenged me to wake up each morning and decide what I'm going to do for myself each day. Typically, I make a list of what I need to do...for everybody else.
So today I decided I'd include this blog in the process.
Each I'll post what I did for myself -- a way to be held accountable...
Plus I'll post what inspires me each day.
I'm hoping you'll do the same through your comments so we can share and inspire each other.
The goal here is to keep what is Holy -- me, my time, my children and family out of the dog dish -- keeping the pearls around my neck and out of the pig pen.
It will be a process as I have to learn these new skills. I know that my life works better when I give myself a little time, but I forget easily so I'm hoping including all of you in the process will keep it top of the mind.
So here goes:
What I did for me today: Took a long lunch and shared a meal with a friend and fellow writer. She always inspires me and makes me feel normal in a world where I feel like I don't fit in very well. I also spent some nice "girl time" with my sister-in-law.
What am I listening to: Just Breathe, by Pearl Jam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-UKCxCglg
What inspired me: an incredible sunrise, great friends and an excellent counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment