Saturday, March 13, 2010

What was that about making plans??

We are in Beaver, Utah.
This is not where we're supposed to be.
We spent a glorious morning hiking through Arches National Park.
More on that later.
About 1 p.m. we headed due west across the state so we could get to St. George Utah, which is at the southwestern corner of the state. We, however, hit a spring storm.
Not like a little weather pattern that dumps a skiff of snow and moves on.
A giant blizzard.
The kind that closes freeways and causes jack-knifed trucks etc.
We made it through several mountain passes on I-70, but as soon as we got onto I-15, the snow started coming down at a slant.
A few miles in traffic came to a complete stop. We sat on the freeway for 90 minutes. We finally got going, but not for long.
It was white knuckle driving.
I'm pretty good in theses situations -- but dang.
We finally got to Beaver and I needed to pee and get a break.
We opted for staying put.
Good thing we did, as the road ahead to the south was closed -- oh so we hear.
We we grabbed a late dinner at a cafe' which, did not serve beer, I might add and that really irritated me.
But we got one of the last hotel rooms in the place and got in a nice swim in the luke warm pool.
My cameras in the car, so will post photo and more information about Arches tomorrow.
We think we'll be able to get to St. George in the morning before the next storm hits.
We're thankful we have a comfortable hotel room and the safety of staying together.
It's so bad out there that churches and homeowners in the area of opening their doors to strangers to get off the freeway.
Stay tuned for more...tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are all safe, dry and warm. Thank God for the hotel room. What an adventure you are on, sun, dinosaurs, mountains, pools and snow! Try to get a whole family photo. I would love to print one off and put it up in my office. I'm sure you can bribe a tourist!
    Keep on blogging.....
    Hugs,
    Kel

    ReplyDelete